So I'm shopping with Reptar (correction: she's shopping. I'm just wandering nearby, offering suggestions that she dismisses and then sitting quietly while she tries on things and criticizes her body unfairly). So I figured I'd do something to distract myself. Therefore, I give you another ten opinions.
1. Go see Mad Max: Fury Road. It is brilliantly done. One of the best action movies I've seen in years. Keeps you on the edge of your seat, then lets you catch your breath for an instant until it plunges you back in. Great character development, especially in the span of a suspenseful movie. Just all-around so good.
2. Relating to that: I didn't realize there were websites and forums where "men's rights activists" whine and moan about how movies like Mad Max: Fury Road are ruining cinema because they gave Charlize Theron a lead role in a movie titled "Mad Max", where Max wasn't the good-at-everything superhero of movies gone by. You should watch the movie because it's good - but it's an added perk to stick it to those whiny guys.
3. People complaining that the new Human Torch is black need to pipe down. I have one friend who expresses that he likes the movies to be translated as literally as possible from the comics. Which I can understand, even if I don't agree. But the people who think that it's a bad thing because it's a black and white brother-sister duo (HOW COULD THAT POSSIBLY HAPPEN? ME SO CONFUSED), or, worse, that a black member would "disrupt the team dynamic" (which wouldn't happen because the Fantastic Four aren't as racist as that commenter) - go sit in the corner.
4. Okay, non-film thought: the fact that Ireland just voted to legalize gay marriage (and not just that - it was by POPULAR vote, not some elected officials deciding) is huge, and awesome. I think this is best summed up by this quote, from German official Jens Spahn: "One should think, what the Catholic Irish can do, we [Germans] can too," he was quoted by Welt Online as saying, adding: "The population is often more ahead in these matters than we think."
5. Related to that: I hate it when people comment on posts about these important topics with "That's great, but what about this other important issue that I care more about?" One thing at a time, people. The world does not work on one problem at a time. Your issue's time will come (unless you're a men's rights activist. That time is not coming).
6. At this point I am firmly convinced that when my fiancée says she does not look good in a dress, 90% of the time she is full of crap. The other 10% is an objective issue with the dress itself.
7. I never fully understood the value of detangler combs and hair brushes until I grew my beard out. It was only like 3 or 4 inches, but running a comb through that and smoothing out the tangles was so satisfying. And made for a much softer beard.
8. If stores are going to dress up mannequins, they should have a card catalog or a "find-this-dress-in-store" feature that you can scan. That way you're not randomly wandering trying to find where all the Ralph Lauren dresses are.
9. I am sometimes torn between wanting to listen to a podcast and wanting to roll my windows down. I mean, I know I shouldn't care, but I feel dumb opening my window and blasting out a discussion of some random topic, rather than a song.
10. I am super excited to see my extended family this weekend. Med school and all of its scheduling conflicts, as well as sheer distance, prevent me from hanging out with them as often as I'd like. So the biggest perk of having an engagement party this weekend is that I get to see all of them. And I can't wait. That's not much of an opinion, I just wanted to give them a shout-out.
I have finished this list. And we haven't left Macy's yet. Still have at least one or two stores to check out. I need food.